L.O.A. 403 (12.3m), L.W.L. 34(10.4m), BEAM 116 (3.5m), DRAFT 54 (1.6m),
DISPLACEMENT 12 Tons (12.2 tonnes).
BUILDER Moulded by Tyler. Fitted out - Aberdour Marine - 1974.
DESIGNER E. G. van de Stadt
LYING East Coast - In commission.
CONTACT - firstname.lastname@example.org
Photographs and video clips below...
This long keel, 7 berth, covered centre cockpit ketch was stripped to a bare GRP hull in 1996-98 and professionally re-fitted and re-equipped with modern gear. The hull was re-epoxied and a bow thruster fitted. Re-wired with heavy wiring. All electrics and electronics were updated and replaced. A 20 gallon water heater was fitted. Accommodation was improved - head linings, furnishings and upholstery were replaced. A new teak wheelhouse was built. Sails, rigging and chain plates were replaced. In 2001, a new Perkins M.92 engine and Lofrans windlass were fitted. In 2006, a mishap-free cruise to Rio and Cape Town was completed.
Ketch-rigged with aluminium white painted masts and spars.
Two headsail furling systems (1 Finfurl, 1 Sailspar).
Mast steps on mainmast. Twin booms for Twizzle Rig.
Slab reefing on main and mizzen.
Two Lewmar 48 self-tailing sheet winches. Three halyard winches. Mainsheet winch.
Mainsail - Fully battened - East Coast Sails 1996 - Good.
Genoa (Outer furler) - Arun Sails 1994 - Fair.
Blade jib (Inner furler) - East Coast Sails 1996 - Good.
Twin Twizzle jibs - Arun Sails 1994 - Fair. (Set on outer furler).
Mizzen - Fully battened - East Coast Sails 1996 - Good.
Cruising Chute - Arun Sails 1995 - Good.
Mizzen staysail - Gowens 2001 - Good.
Trysail - East Coast Sails 1997 - Good.
(All sails repaired and valetted annually).
Perkins Sabre M 92 engine situated under cockpit sole. Naturally aspirated 92 HP 4 cylinder diesel. Borg Warner Velvet Drive 72c direct drive gearbox (1998). Shaft drive with universal gear and thrust block to fixed 3 blade propeller with rope cutter. Shaft brake. Engine fitted new in 2001 - approx. 1,000 hours run. Shaft drawn in 2006 when propeller was balanced, thrust block refitted and Cutless bearing replaced. Two 75 gal (340l) diesel tanks. Fuel consumption 3litres/hour at 1,400 revs., giving a range of +/- 1,000 miles.
4 x 12v. deep cycle service batteries (new 2006).
2 x 12v. Cranking batteries (new 2006) - serve starting, bow thruster and windlass.
1 x 110A. Service alternator - Balmar 712-110 regulated by Balmar ARS4 management system (fitted 2005). 1 x 70A. Prestolite engine alternator. All batteries can be charged by either alternator.
Acquair 100 towed/wind generator (delivers 1 amp/knot when towed).
Siemens 120w. Solar panel.
12v Main control panel - all circuit breakers - no fuses.
Bow thruster - Vetus 80 KGF with adjacent dedicated battery.
240v. ring main with 5 sockets.
240v. Morven 3 stage battery charger.
20 gallon calorifier (shore power or engine heated.)
2 x 15m. shore power cables.
NAVIGATION and COMMUNICATIONS.
Fixed GPS - Garmin 120 XL.
H/held GPS - Garmin 45 XL.
Navtex Pro - 490 & 518 KHZ.
Fixed VHF - ICOM M59.
H/Held VHF - ICOM ICM2A - waterproof.
SSB - ICOM 700, with antenna tuner and Dynaplate.
Radar - Furuno 1832 - NMEA linked to GPS & A/Helm.
Halogen searchlight - Solar 100.
Rulan mechanical rudder indicator.
Prosser digital electronic barometer.
ST 50 log, echo sounder & wind instruments.
Raymarine ST 50 A/Helm with T. 300 computer.
Compasses - Sestrel Moore - Fixed and H/Brg.
Main anchor - 55 lb. Delta & 65m. of 10 mm. chain.
45 lb. CQR anchor & 25m chain and warp
55 lb. Fisherman anchor.
Steering - Whitlock rotary - rod gearing.
Davits - Simpson S/Steel Model 750.
Avon R.I.B. - Rover 2.8m.
Mariner 5 H.P. outboard.
Portable 12v transfer/emergency pump.
Anchor windlass - Lofrans Tigre 1200w.
3 Vetus windscreen wipers.
Danbuoy with automatic light.
2 portable boarding ladders.
Lifeguard 6 man liferaft - in canister.
EPIRB - Kannad 406S - dual frequency.
6 Lifejackets - XM auto - 150N.
2 Electric bilge pumps (1 automatic).
2 Manual bilge pumps.
4 Safety harnesses.
4 Sea jackstays.
Emergency covers for in hull windows.
2 water tanks (1 x 100 gals., 1 x 50 gals.).
Watermaker - PUR 160E - 30 litres/hour.
Interior heater - Webasto Airtop 32 - 4 outlets.
Calorifier - 20 gal. - 240v/engine heated.
Stove - Flavel Leisure - Vanessa - oven , 2 burners and grill.
Pressurised hot and cold fresh water to galley, 2 bathrooms and 2 showers.
Refrigerator - Isotherm 1653 - water cooled.
2 Lavac marine toilets.
2 awnings - main and bow/stern.
New cockpit enclosure - 2007.
Car type entertainment radio with tape deck - 2 speakers in each cabin.
1. Alma has been conscientiously maintained. Proof is a trouble-free cruise to Brazil, S. Africa and back. Manuals for all equipment are aboard as are records of maintenance. A full set of engine spares and replacements for essential equipment is included.
2. Accommodation includes a small workshop with 240v & 12v sockets, small workbench with vice and stowage for tools, lubricants, etc.
3. Her Twizzle Rig (twin headsails sewn to 1 luff tape set on light poles) is ideal for down wind Tradewind passages. The rig has been refined during 4 Atlantic crossings. She runs straight, with no tendency to broach, even in gale conditions.
4. The combined output of the solar panel plus the towed generator on passage covered current needs for the auto helm, fridge, lights and navigation. When using the watermaker (20 amp draw), the engine has to be run.
5. Hove to under her Trysail, she rode out two Southern Ocean storms, giving us great confidence in her sea-keeping ability.
6. Apart from the Rio to Cape Town passage, when the RIB was stowed on deck, it was always kept on the davits. With her high freeboard and great buoyancy aft, we had no problems.
7. Daily runs varied between 120 and 150 miles. Her best days run with us was 201 miles.
Tollesbury Marina - today
Wheelhouse - radar to starboard
Forward heads & wash room
In Knysna lagoon, South Africa
Twizzle set for weeks on end in the Trades -
no chafe, reduced roll!
Looking up twizzle luff - easy reefing
from the cockpit
© 2008 roger walker
last modified 5th March 2008